How to Travel on a budget| Travel Blog
We are so excited!!! We have been planning for months now a trip to New Mexico to see the Carlsbad Caverns and the White Sand Monument. For one reason or another we kept having to reschedule our trip and last week we decided, no more excuses, no more interruptions, we were making it happen. We have been super stressed out and constantly busy and haven't had time to do much of anything except the occasional trip to the movies. So this is a much needed mini vacation/ getaway.
Everyone needs to vacation!
We booked our hotels yesterday through PRICELINE who had the best prices out there. We are so excited! We will be pretty close to both areas (we got two different hotels since both locations are a good distance apart). We don't have much money so we try to save and budget as much as possible. Especially for a trip like this which can drain you!
Don't let your trip Drain you, plan smartly.
We won't be bringing our fur kids along on the trip this time, but they'll have their grandparents to watch over them while mom and dad are away for a few days lol. I'm going to have to FaceTime the babes!!!!
"I have separation anxiety when it comes to the fur babes!"
I know a lot of people want to go on little road trips but are tight on a budget and don't know how to save. Here are a few tips that we swear by!
Want to save while you're on a roadtrip?Well, do I have some tips for you!
- 1. Booking a hotel with complimentary breakfast will save you quite a bit. It could save two people between $13-$20 depending on where you decide to eat. Meaning you could save between $23-$40 just on breakfast alone in a matter of two days.
Snacks always save the day!
- 2. Bringing snacks and drinks! When we take a roadtrip, we will bring a cooler with snacks, drinks, bread, ham, and cheese. This can replace a meal out even two if you want to avoid eating out all together. So if we want to splurge and eat out we can decide if we rather have lunch out (it's cheaper than dinner) or if we rather have dinner out somewhere nice and splurge a little since we saved on breakfast. Sandwiches are yummy and can go a long way! So packing a cooler is for sure a life saver.
Don't spend it if you don't need it
- 3. No unnecessary spending. We will stick to our budget and not spend outside of what we decided. For us even though we budget let's say $200 on hotels we will try and aim for maybe half of that. We try and spend less even if we don't have to. So do you need that key chain? Will you find one just like it in your town? If the answer is YES, you don't need it, than don't get it. If you can find it in your hometown, than leave it.
Priceline will save the day
- 4. Hotels. We book our hotels through Priceline since they usually have terrific deals. Beyond that we are able to read reviews and see what we are getting ourselves into lol We might be cheap but we don't want a roach or bed bug motel. We want clean and safe. We don't look for fancy because realistically we are going on a vacation to enjoy what that area has to offer not the hotel room. The hotel room is for sleeping and showering and maybe to watch some late night tv. So don't over spend on a fancy hotel just because it has all the glitz. If you aren't planning on spending the majority of your time their, than find something basic and inexpensive and splurge on your activities. If you are going to spend a good amount in the hotel room and it's part of the experience (this applies to resorts) than that is different! The hotel needs to also be awesome so splurging on it will add to your experience. When it comes to resorts use coupons, Groupon and try to package to save as much as possible!
Don't just double check, TRIPPLE check!
- 5. Make sure to double check you have everything you need. Make sure you aren't forgetting anything. Forgetting a charger for example can be an unseen expense. We always triple check we have everything needed.
Enjoy, relax, and make memories!
- 6. Have fun! You can road trip and have a great time in a tight budget so just enjoy and relax. Don't take things too seriously and don't worry about perfection. Focus on the memories you are making.
These are Tips we live by! Vacationing and going on road trips is something a lot of us can't always afford. It can get pricey, but if you budget and plan ahead in a smart way, it's something you can deffinetly do! Next time you go on a roadtrip try these tips and let me know what you added or did differently, and how it worked out for you :) Safe travels my friends and come back for pictures and details on our trip!